Previewing K.A.M.P. with Kelly Akashi

– By Laura Hyatt, Manager, Membership and Annual Giving

Everyone at the Hammer looks forward to K.A.M.P. (Kids' Art Museum Project) all year! Our annual fundraising event is imagined by artists for kids and their families. As we gear up for the big day on Sunday, May 21, we checked in with one of this year's artists, Kelly Akashi. You may have seen her work hanging in the Hammer courtyard last summer, as she was included in Made in L.A. 2016.

Kelly invited the Rubeli family over to her studio for a test-run of her project, so we tagged along and asked a few questions about why she is excited about K.A.M.P. and what led her to being an artist.  

Kelly Akashi with her sand sculpture
Kelly Akashi with one of her sand sculptures

Laura Hyatt: When did you first decide you wanted to be an artist?

Kelly Akashi: The first artworks I saw were the paintings I grew up with, which my mom had made in college. But it wasn't until I started studying art history in college when I realized all that art encompassed—all that was possible. 

A painting by Kelly Akashi's mom
A painting by Kelly Akashi's mom

What inspired you to participate in K.A.M.P. this year?

I saw Cayetano Ferrer's workshop at K.A.M.P. a few years ago. It was really fun. I loved the energy of the kids and seeing the interpretations they had of the projects the artists presented.

Can you give us a preview of your project for K.AM.P.?

We’re going to make sand sculptures and sand candles with different colors of wax. My mom actually taught me how to make sand candles. 

Kids working with artist Kelly Akashi
Kids working with artist Kelly Akashi
Kids working with artist Kelly Akashi
Kids working with artist Kelly Akashi