Opportunities at the Hammer Museum are posted on UCLA's Career Opportunities portal. To filter for Hammer Museum jobs, click on the Search Jobs button, and scroll to the bottom of the listing page to find the search panel. Enter "Hammer" in the Keyword search field.
Assistant, Curatorial Affairs
The Hammer Museum is looking for an enthusiastic, proactive, and organized individual to assist with Museum curatorial projects and administration duties. The Assistant, Curatorial Affairs position provides critical support to the Curatorial Department which includes exhibitions and publications.
Works closely with Curatorial Affairs staff members to assist with recurring tasks such as inventorying and cataloging exhibition collateral, research and preparation for meetings, updating various archive and management tools for exhibitions and publications, letter preparation, special mailings, database management, rights and reproduction request, and special projects, as needed.
Application: please email resume to [email protected] and include "Assistant, Curatorial Affairs" in the subject line. Selected applicants will be contacted. Due to the volume of resumes that we receive, we are regretfully unable to respond to phone calls and emails regarding the status of applications and the recruiting process. This is a part-time limited appointment position.
The Hammer Museum is looking for qualified, experienced, and talented individuals to join the Prep department for temporary art handling opportunities. The Prep department is responsible for the safe, conscientious handling of all artworks and materials under the museum’s care, using our wide ranging experience and knowledge of best practices to produce professional exhibitions. As a temporary prep, the work periods would be predominantly during exhibition change overs with occasional small projects in between.
- At least two years of experience in a professional museum environment or related, handling and installing artworks and/or artifacts
- Knowledge of, and experience with, best practices in the handling, moving, installation, and packing of artworks. Lighting and electrical skills in a museum environment a plus
- The ability to clearly communicate with supervisors, registrars, and fellow preparators
- The ability to understand and follow instructions
- Works well in various installation settings; in groups, with couriers, with artists, and/or solo. Works well in stressful situations. Self-motivated and detail-oriented.
- The candidate should have a safe and mindful approach when around works of art and equipment.
- Ability to comfortably lift 60 pounds
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time; ability to bend to lift, move, carry, artwork safely
- Ability to use tools and equipment safely, properly, and skillfully
- Basic math skills: addition, subtraction, fractions.
Application: please email resume to [email protected] and include "Temporary Prep" in the subject line. Selected applicants will be contacted. Due to the volume of resumes that we receive, we are regretfully unable to respond to phone calls and emails regarding the status of applications and the recruiting process. This is a limited appointment position.
Public Programs Student Assistant
Department: Public Programs
Salary: $15.00 hourly
Job Summary: The Public Programs Student Assistant position is open to all undergraduate UCLA students. The student will aid in Public Programs administrative tasks, including but not limited to organizing files and storage, coordinating hospitality, accounting, program outreach, and assisting with overall departmental logistics.
Days/Hours: 10–20 hours per week
- Registered UCLA undergraduate students
- Ability to pay attention to detail, work independently, and follow through on assignments
- Basic knowledge of graphic design programs such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Excellent written communication skills
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Word
- Preferred: Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint or Keynote
- Preferred: Experience with marketing and social media outreach
- Preferred: Evening availability (4:00–8:00 p.m.)
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and work availability to [email protected], with “Public Programs Student Assistant” in the subject line.
Administrative Student Assistant
Department: Legal Affairs
Salary: $15.00 hourly
The Administrative Student Assistant works with the Legal Affairs team at the Hammer museum to ensure proper tracking and recording of contracts and administrative documents. Other duties include filing records, and special projects as assigned. As the Student Administrative Assistant, you will:
- Work closely with Director of Legal Affairs to review Certificates of Insurance and properly track them using Excel
- File, track, and maintain contract records
- Support Director, Legal Affairs on review and maintenance of administrative and other records according to retention policy
- Other administrative tasks as needed
Days/Hours: Must be available to work a fixed weekly schedule, and a minimum of 8 hours per week between 9:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Registered UCLA student
- Interest in arts and culture and eagerness to work in administration
- Ability to pay attention to detail, work independently, and follow through on tasks
- Strong work ethic and eagerness to be part of a team
- Experience with Microsoft Excel
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and work availability to [email protected], with “Administrative Student Assistant” in the subject line.
Due to the volume of resumes that we receive, we are regretfully unable to respond to phone calls and emails regarding the status of applications and the recruiting process.
Student Educator Program
Student Educators are paid UCLA students from diverse disciplines who lead tours for all audiences. Student Educators participate in mandatory summer training and extensive professional development throughout the year. As the museum’s core teaching staff, student educators lead public and private tours, support family programming, and assist with curator walk-throughs. Student Educators are hired in Spring Quarter for the following academic year. Please contact [email protected] for more information.