Students gain professional experience through yearlong and summer internships at the Hammer. Yearlong internships are offered for credit for UCLA students. Paid summer internships are offered through the Getty Marrow Internship program. Positions are offered in departments including curatorial, communications, development, and programs, among others. Applications are closed for 2019–2020 school year internships.
Please check back in spring 2020 for info on summer and 2020–2021 internships.
Emerging Museum Education Fellowship
The Hammer Museum’s Academic Programs Department is pleased to announce a paid fellowship opportunity for an emerging museum educator during the 2019–2020 academic year. The Emerging Museum Education Fellowship program aims to diversify the museum field and reduce barriers among recent college graduates from historically underrepresented groups from acquiring full-time entry-level jobs. The program aims to enrich professional skill-sets of emerging museum educators through on-the-job training, mentorship, and professional development.
The Fellow will work alongside Academic Programs staff in helping visitors of all ages make authentic and personally relevant connections to art, one another, and the world through close looking, dialogue, and inquiry. As an Emerging Museum Education Fellow, you will deepen your gallery teaching practice and gain in-depth experience developing and implementing tours and programs, especially for youth and family audiences. The Fellow will also learn about museum education theory and practice through ongoing professional development.
- Facilitating tours for a variety of audiences, including families, adults, university students, and K-12 students.
- Working with designated Academic Programs Department staff to propose, develop, and implement a program for intergenerational audiences.
- Attending mandatory paid training during the summer (September 19–20 & September 23-25) and additional trainings on two Fridays per month during the academic year from 4:00–6:00pm.
Eligibility: The Emerging Museum Education Fellowship program is designed specifically for recent undergraduates from historically underrepresented groups. Successful candidates will have:
- At least 1 year of experience teaching youth, preferably art subjects
- A B.A. in art education, art, art history, education, visual culture or another museum-related field within the past 2–3 years.
- Demonstrated facility in managing multiple projects and meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated interest in contemporary art