Third-Floor Galleries Closed for Renovation
Our third-floor galleries are currently closed for renovation and will reopen in January 2017.
Some facts about our new galleries:
- Michael Maltzan, the renowned architect and longtime Hammer partner, is designing the modernized and improved galleries.
- The renovated galleries will expand the range of exhibitions and collections we can showcase at the Hammer.
- A single contiguous 10,000 square foot space will allow us to present larger exhibitions.
- Reconfigured galleries will be dedicated to sharing more of the permanent collection, including the growing Hammer Contemporary Collection.
- The new design features higher ceilings, state-of-the-art LED lighting, reconfigured skylights that maximize the use of natural light, and hardwood floors made from sustainably harvested wood.
- New technology and monitoring systems ensure the highest standards for displaying and preserving art.
- The Hammer’s UCLA Grunwald Center the Graphic Arts, home to one of the finest collections of works on paper in the United States, has been relocated to the second floor.
Image: Hammer Museum rendering. Michael Maltzan Architecture.