The Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts was established in 1956 at UCLA by German émigré Fred Grunwald, a clothing manufacturer who assembled a world-class print collection in Los Angeles in the 1950s after his original collection was presumably seized by the Nazis in the 1930s. In a letter to Raymond B. Allen, UCLA's chancellor at the time, art history professor Gibson A. Danes and UCLA Art Galleries director Frederick S. Wight referred to Grunwald's gift as "one of the most significant proposals for implementing and enriching the teaching program for the arts and humanities that could come to any university." This early germ of the Grunwald Center's subsequent collection, which now numbers over 45,000 prints, drawings, and photographs from the Renaissance to the present, established the foundations of what would subsequently become the major strengths of the museum's works on paper. It also demonstrated the sophistication and cosmopolitanism of L.A. collectors, particularly the community formed around Zeitlin and Ver Brugge, the antiquarian book and print dealers whose activities helped establish Los Angeles as a center for contemporary printmaking. Balancing incredible range with areas of remarkable depth, the first Grunwald donations include Renaissance drawings; an exceptional selection of Japanese woodblock prints; nineteenth-century French prints by Honoré Daumier and others; graphic works by major German Expressionist artists; and twentieth-century American graphic arts, including contemporary lithographs and preparatory materials by pioneers in the Los Angeles print world of the 1960s.