Music & Performance

Frances Stark Performs I've Had it and a Half

• to This is a past program

Due to the adult themes of some of the material contained in this afternoon's program, this performance may not be suitable for all audiences.

Last summer Frances Stark staged a performance at the Wheeler Opera House in Aspen entitled I’ve Had it and I’ve also Had it, which reworked a musical that debuted there in 1951. In the original “I’ve Had It!” a bellhop loses his girlfriend to a critically acclaimed composer, who is in town working on a new commissioned piece. To win her back he exposes the pretentious composer as a fraud by demonstrating, for a room full of critics, that the new composition is actually a familiar pop song, played backward. Stark’s performance I’ve Had it and a Half is an epilogue for that piece, as well as a prologue for her a new theatrical production (commissioned by Performa) which will debut in New York City in the fall.

In conjunction with the exhibition All of this and nothing.

Public programs are made possible by Hammer Members and the generosity of Bronya and Andrew Galef, Good Works Foundation and Laura Donnelley, and an anonymous donor.