10 Things: Olympics Edition

– By Andrea Lennox, visitor experience coordinator

This post is part of 10 Things, a blog series inspired by the Hammer’s free membership program HAMMER10. Throughout the series, we’ll share top 10 lists, highlight HAMMER10 members, give you tips and tricks to make the most of your visit, and more.

To the victor goes the membership! 

The Olympics kick off today in Rio, and we at the Hammer are feeling extra inspired. In this peak of competition we felt there was no greater time than the present to highlight some HAMMER10 members who have taken their dedication and participation to Olympic heights.

Meet these two All-Stars who kept their eye on the scoreboard (or, maybe, the art) and won two free years of membership at the Hammer. As they say, one man’s gold medal is another man’s Hammer membership. Or, maybe only we say that... 

The 2016 HAMMER10 Olympians

All-Star (and Environmental Warrior): Madeline

"I'm a student at Bates College, self-proclaimed environmental warrior, ceramic worshiper, and Hammer Museum enthusiast.”

My favorite thing about the museum is that it is walking distance from my house, yet it makes me feel like I'm already at home.

I always love the Hammer's summer concert series with KCRW (shout out to Summer of Soul), exhibitions like Mark Bradford's Scorched Earth, and the amazing friendly staff that works there."

Read another interview we did with Mady last year.

All-Star (And breadstick aficionado): Jessica 

Occupation: Events & Arts Partnerships Coordinator at KCRW

"I love feeling transported as soon I enter the museum. No matter what program or exhibition is happening the Hammer, it is always a welcoming haven of peace in Los Angeles where I go to refuel my curiosity. It’s really all about the vibes. 

I’ve earned my membership visiting the museum's exhibitions and volunteering for various family programs throughout the year.  Some of my personal favorite exhibitions over the past years that I ended up seeing multiple times were UH-OH: Frances Stark 1991-2015, Robert Heinecken: Object Matter, and Made in L.A. 2014 & 2016. My favorite program in the last year was probably the inventive and eclectic ALL THE INSTRUMENTS AGREE: an exhibition or a concert, where the courtyard was alive and took on a totally different nature for two days and nights.

Earning a membership also means being invited to opening receptions. Opening receptions = breadsticks. I am all about art and engagement, but I’m also food-motivated. "